Friday, May 13, 2016

#98 The Kraken rises!

Ok, this one was a real monster of a project. The kraken itself was 14 pieces: 4  for the body and 10 tentacles. The ship base I'm not sure of, there might be 3-4 pieces. I only had to attach the tentacles after painting the body. It is not attached to the ship yet since it would be even more of a hassle to move or store.
The painting prices was simple just time consuming. The main colors are turquoise and black. The fleshy areas around the break I thought should stand out a bit so I painted those areas with a muscle tone. The turquoise was three stages: a base coat, a couple washes and some highlights. So far so good. The shell areas were painted black highlighted grey then washed black.

Attaching the tentacles was both easier and still more difficult than I thought it would be since there are doubles of certain tentacles. I placed them all down, matched the doubles and then sorted them so similar ones would not be next to each other. I managed to not mess up the attachment stage. I only had to glue one off then twice too. The majority of the tentacles were turquoise, blended at one end into the muscle part and blended with a dark blue at the tips. Overall a striking balance.
The sunken ship was a whole different problem. I researched boats, before and after sinking, to get an idea of wood color and what kind of wear and damage happen after sinking. So I started by painting a weathered boat then greening it up to show all the sea lichen that grows on them. The only shame is that the boat only had some barnacles and things on it. It still came out better than I hoped since I was fearing it would like a bronze statue with some verdigris (?).
After getting it all done I feel good about it. The process was an endurance test though, reminding me why I don't paint very many large models. I also painted the eyes in what I hope is a suitably creepy manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment