Monday, February 25, 2013

#48 Working in 3D!

It's been awhile since I did some focused work in a 3D program. The only one I really know how to use is Google Sketchup (though I want to start learning Blender). The stuff I've done in the past was usually based around learning the different tools, especially the 'follow-me' tool which is awesome when it works the way you want it too. Otherwise it just makes really crazy looking things which can be fun too. Anyways, with working on DataCrash and my friend Omar making the minis I thought it might be a good time to get back into the digital 3D modeling stuff again. The DataCrash characters make good forms to start out with since they are relatively simple shapes. It took me a couple of hours to make the basic parts and composition for the Sentinel.




As you can see it went pretty well (or at least I think so). The gun came out really nicely (the follow-me tool for the win!) and apart from having to eyeball things most of the rotating and angling of pieces ended up matching. I colored some of the pieces for this picture just to get an idea of how it might look. The miniatures themselves are fully painted for the Legacy army and I would use that color scheme for any further digital coloring though that probably wouldn't matter since if I go ahead with testing out 3D printing coloring them wouldn't matter. Yeah, I totally want to see about getting something printed, probably from shapeways. I've got a lot of work ahead of me though if I want to get all the mini's done in a 3D program.

No comments:

Post a Comment